Saturday, June 2, 2012

When did I shart looking at banknotes differently , as a thing of beauty rather than simply a medium of exchange?

Probably when I received my copy of 1000 Faroese krona, one of the most splendid banknotes in the world?

Probably when I found a 200 Franc note in the bottom of a drawer, something left unnoticed for years since I traveld to France as a kid in the early 1990s?

Or probably when I officially began my journey, a 1000 yen that my father brought home when I was four, after one of his business trips to Japan? In any case, I liked collecting banknotes since I was very, very young. At that time it was more like collecting random colored papers. This habit only started to take shape and become more organized in the past five years or so. I’m very glad that my beloved wife, Helen, is very supportive of what I do, which is not really an inexpensive hobby...

Unlike most other established collectors that Helen and I had met, my main focus is on post-1960 banknotes worldwide. Being an amateur (post-modern?) collector, my current goal is to first collect at least one full set from each country, and then we’ll see how it goes on from there.

This blog does not intend to present banknotes in a professional way; there are many of those out there already. I merely want to share my favorite things and my passion with my friends. Last but not least, I would like to thank Anthony Lee, a professional collector, a dealer and a friend of ours. Due to his sharing I have resumed this meaningful hobby, and started building my small stash of great beauties.

Enjoy and feel free to leave us any comments or suggestions.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment